Tuesday 21 October 2003

SHIPS

ok, first of all... no, it has nothing to do with ships. On Monday, I went for my SHIPS industrial visit. For the benefit of the mass, I will now explain SHIPS to you.

Ok, here we go. For my 3rd semester, we have to do a project. This project is a real life problem set by a real company. The project is to last throughout this semester. And this project is under the SHIPS which stand for Sheffield Industrial Project Scheme (I think).

Well, like I said, this afternoon me and my group went to a local company named Inductelec Ltd to learn in depth about our project. This company produces induction heaters but our project was not related to it. It seems they use a transformer to control the power supplied to the heaters and sometimes, depending on the load to be heated, the power to be supplied will vary. The problem is, switching between the taps on the transformer is a tedious job so the company wants us to find a way to make it more efficient thereby increasing the functionality of the product.

So basically, we went on a bus (40 seater bus, 10 of us!!!) to the company and there, they told us the problem and showed us around the factory. Later, they showed us a model of the transformer. Then, we went back. Yes, it’s not very interesting but, up to you to decide that one.

Would like to put a picture of the transformer but… anyone know how to copyright it?

No comments:

Post a Comment